Outline of Terms of Services for Paid Associates
This is a summary of the principal conditions of service at ESO, according to the International Staff Rules and Regulations and other official announcements
N.B. This outline is for general information only and has no legally binding value.
The EUROPEAN SOUTHERN OBSERVATORY has establishments which are located in:
Chile: La Silla, Paranal, Santiago, Antofagasta, Sequitor, OSF
Initial job grading is determined in relation to a candidate's qualifications and experience.
The remuneration of Paid Associates with duty station in Chile is adjusted monthly according to the cost of living differential between Santiago de Chile and the lead town Munich.
- Family allowances:
- Household allowance for members of the personnel who are married or who are entitled to children's allowance: EURO 181,21 per month.
- Children's allowance for each dependent child:EURO 271,81 per month plus a supplement of EURO 76,36 for expatriated children up to the age of 4 years at the latest if no education grant is paid.
- Education grant for children: ESO reimburses 75% of school fees, subject to certain conditions and with certain maxima.
- Expatriation allowance is payable under certain circumstances. In Chile, the rates vary according to the areas of residence.
Area of Residence
Receiving Household Allowance*
Not receiving household allowance*
La Serena / Antofagasta
* of basic salary with min. grade 7, step 5
- Mountain allowance. Applicable to staff members with duty station La Silla, Paranal, Sequitor, OSF.
- Receiving household allowance:20% of basic salary
- Not receiving household allowance : 10% of basic salary
3. Joining Expenses
Newly appointed staff residing more than 50 km from duty station before their appointment are paid travel expenses for themselves and their families, removal expenses and an installation allowance. Additional information on the importation of household goods (personal effects, cars, etc.) and rent allowance, can be obtained at Human Resources.
4. Pension Scheme
Members of the personnel with an appointment as a Paid Associate should have their own pension provision.
5. Health Insurance Scheme
The scheme provides for insurance of the Paid Associate and his family against medical expenses. The contribution, presently 3,25 % of the basic remuneration, is subject to annual adjustments. An additional contribution of presently 1,32 % of the basic remuneration covers death and disability.
6. Salary during sickness
The remuneration continues to be paid during absences due to sickness, with certain limits.
7. Hours of work
The basic work schedule is 40 hours a week. Hours of work and working schedule may vary according to the duty station.
Annual leave entitlement is of 2 1/2 working days per month. Once every two years an expatriate member of the personnel is entitled to a home leave return trip to his home station. ESO pays the expenses of the journey for the staff member and his family under certain conditions.
9. Other information
For additional information, you may contact:
85748 Garching b. München / Germany
+49 89 320 06 217
Av. Alonso de Cordova 3107, comuna de Vitacura
Phone: +56 2 4633000