The Virtual Observatory Project Office, created in June 2008 as an evolution of the Virtual Observatory Systems Departement, is part of the ESO Data Management and Operations Division (DMO). VOP is tasked with providing Virtual Observatory (VO) input to ESO in general, and to the DMO Archive and Data Products Departments in particular, and with coordinating ESO's involvement in the VO, namely in the Euro-VO project and theInternational Virtual Observatory Alliance (IVOA).
In practice this means making sure that ESO's data products, metadata and relative tools and services are interoperable and up-to-date and that ESO's voice is heard at the international level when data access and exchange standards are discussed.
* Euro-VO ICE: International Cooperation Empowerment
* SVMT: Survey Visualisation & Monitoring Tool
* VirGO: ESO visual archive browser
* EURO-VO AIDA Astronomical Infrastructure for Data Access (2008-2010)
* EURO-VO Data Centre Alliance (2006-2008)
* VOTECH: Virtual Observatory Technology(2005-2009)
* AVO: Astrophysical Virtual Observatory (Phase A Study, 2002-2005)
* AstroVirTel: Accessing Astronomical Archives as Virtual telescopes (ST-ECF & ESO, 2000-2003)